The oldest part of the Chateau D'Avaray .The North East tower with a few rooms.
It is rumored that Joan of Arc spent the night in the north east tower on her way from Blois to Orleans. She fought the battle of Beaugency on June 16 1429, that is about 12 miles from the town of Avaray.
Part of the brook that feeds the moat.
The run off of the moat with the mill at the end on the right
Where the millstone use to be-One can see the water flowing out of the moat on the way to the Loire River.
The yellow blocked up door was where wood for the kitchens were brought in by boat on the moat. There was a landing space for the wood to be loaded onto the boat.
Opening in the wall where the wood was loaded on the boat from the village ,for the kitchens of the chateau.
Steps down to the moat level to get on the boat.
The Loire River at Avaray.
The Chateau was rebuilt by the family of Bésiade,who came to France with Henry IV of Navarre and Béarn, who was the first Protestant King of France.